The Weston Favell Academy is committed to ensuring that all pupils on its roll are supported to achieve maximum possible attendance. By attending regularly, pupils can fully benefit from the educational and personal development opportunities provided by the Academy.
The Academy, in line with government directives, expects pupils to attend school for at least 95% of the time. This equates to half a day's absence every two weeks. If a pupil is absent for a whole day their attendance for that week drops to 80%.
Since September 2013, family holidays have not been authorised. Any holiday taken during term time will automatically be unauthorised. If you still take leave, you may incur a Fixed Penalty Notice of betweeen £60-£120 per parent. If you feel you leave warrants consideration, you will need to send a letter explaining your reasons, together with proof (if needed) to the Principal. Only exceptional circumstances will be given consideration.
Parents have a responsibility for ensuring their child attends the academy regularly and punctually. The academy expects that all parents communicate with them, either in writing or by telephone, giving a reason:
- For a planned absence (for example, funeral, religious festival), complete a leave of form and return it to the Attendance Officer.
- Ring the absence line on 01604 402121 and choose option 1 to report the absence on every day of unplanned absence.
- When calling the absence line, please state the student's name, year group and the reason for absence.
Failure to comply with this requirement will mean that your child will have unauthorised absences on their attendance record and this could lead to a referral to the Education Welfare Officer.
Pupils should inform a member of staff of any problem or reason that may prevent them from attending the Academy.
Parents should contact their son/daughter's Pastoral Leader at the Academy whenever a problem occurs that may affect their child's attendance. Regular attendance means arriving on time for the start of the Academy day. It is the parent's responsibility to ensure their child gets to the Academy on time.
Parents of pupils who are regularly late will be contacted so we can work together to rectify the situation. Where no improvement is made, the Education Welfare Officer will be informed.
POOR ATTENDANCE = POOR ATTAINMENT!
Some absences which are considered avoidable will be left unauthorised by the Weston Favell Academy. These include:
- Minor illness
- Looking after a sick relative
- Minding the house or waiting for workmen/deliveries etc
- Packing or getting ready for a holiday or trip or collecting relatives from the airport/station
- Being on holiday
- Looking after brothers and sisters, including dropping them off at school or nursery
- Helping with housework or family business
- Being unhappy or not getting on with others at the Academy
Attendance Officer - Mrs Michelle Baucutt
Educational Welfare Officer - Mrs Helen Delaney
Attendance Assistant - Mrs Kirsty McNee